When listening to my peers dreaming up which sector of the design field they would love a career in, a majority think freelancing is the way to go. I personally think freelancing makes a perfect career for some, but not for all. Like with all jobs, it’s important to think about the aspects of freelancing that contrast with the positives. Take a look at my list below, and let me know what you would add to your pro v. con list!
- Higher earning potential; freelance rates are almost always higher than in-house equivalents.
- Agencies/clients will pay more for specialist skills on-demand
- You can set your own hours.
- You can pick your own clients AKA do the projects you want to do.
- Work where you want; at home, in a coffee shop, while traveling.
- You only earn when you work.
- No sick or holiday pay.
- You have to do all the admin work, like accounting or bookkeeping.
- Some clients you will have to chase down for your payment.
- You don’t have coworkers to bounce ideas off of or to collaborate with.